Friday, June 10, 2005

Yarn Touristing

I was in Toronto, Canada, for a conference this past week so I polled KR folks to find good yarn shops. Unfortunately I only made it to the two in (somewhat) easy walking distance: Romney and Lewiscraft (which is actually more like a craft store).

They were both exactly like I had heard: Romney had a huge selection and pretty bad service, and Lewiscraft had some inexpensive sock yarn. By the time I got to Romney I was so overheated from walking I could barely look at the wool so I bought 4 hanks of this Butterfly cotton. I hope it's enough to make a t-shirt. It's a very nice silver gray. Very cool looking and it should go well with the black and navy that I have so much of.



At Lewiscraft I found that the Scheepjes Invicta Extra 4ply sock yarn was on sale for $3.79 Canadian -- about $3 US. I bought 4 50gm skeins, two in gray and two in cream. I frogged the self-striping gray yarn I had started the chutes and ladders in because it looked pretty ugly. I think the cream will look like a nice aran sweater in chutes and ladders. I also got packs of cheap 2.0mm and 3.0mm DPN. They're metal but nice. They were $3.65 Canadian.

No comments: